Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ramblings on my "Realization"

My best friend Risa and I used to have "realizations." They were things we always knew, but on random days at random times we'd have these "realizations" on a particular topic where everything else around us went a bit hazy and we just totally GOT IT! Crazy? Maybe. (In Nate's words) "Something I shouldn't admit out loud?" Very possibly. But in my defense, my mind has been enlightened and I've really understood a lot from these experiences.
I don't have nearly as many "realizations" anymore. Possbily because my mind never stays idle long enough to think beyond dinner, or potty training, or cleaning up and I'd have to say I miss those experiences. Lately I've been thinking a lot about being a mother and while the room didn't go hazy, I did have a "mini-realization." Let me share.
I think it's so wonderful that each mother believes that her own children are the cutest, the most clever, the sweetest, the smartest, the funniest, the greatest things ever. I'm no exception. According to me, my children are nothing short of brilliant, gorgeous, and totally sweet (most of the time), yet if you ask the very next mom, I'm sure she'd be equally in love with her own children. I can't imagine there are many mom's who think, "Oh, I wish I had so and so's children. They're much cuter than mine." I just think it's amazing that as parents we think our own offspring are the best. I guess we wouldn't want it any other way.
Here are a few examples of why I'm pretty much head-over-heels in love with my clan of four.




I had an interesting conversation a couple weeks ago with Mac where he asked me how he had any of his dad in him. My lame answer was "because he's your dad." Mac's reply was, "I KNOW he's my dad, but how do I have any of him in me. Like I get that I have some of you in me because I was inside your belly, but I don't get how any of dad got into me." I won't tell you how I answered, because I totally blew it and ended up laughing and embarrassed and told him he'd have to ask his dad. I knew eventually we'd have to cover "the birds and the bees," but I had no idea that it would be this early! Talk about UNPREPARED!






You've got to admit, they are pretty great, right?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

They ARE pretty great kids, Jami.

Mac's question is a good one. I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to think of a good answer to that one...

nicole said...

They are pretty great, Jami, nice job. But you're right -- I love mine! Though, I do hope they turn out as cool as your boys.

I totally have realizations too, and would love to be on a we-talk-about-our-realizations level with you. =) So, any time.

I love the pictures. Everett likes to put his foot up in his high chair too, I love that Jilli is eating the chalk, and that bath-time picture is just classic.

Kim said...

Look how big Beck is! Wow! A friend of mine has this book called "before you were born" that is a childrens book that gives informative info. I just ordered it off of Amazon and I'll let you know if it's worth it:) Can't wait to see you in July.

Holly and Robert said...

So cute... It is great to be a mom!!

Magic Marker said...

cute pictures, and I agree I think that my kids are the cat's meow:) You guys have pretty great kiddos too!

the rutledge's- said...

Jami- loved, loved this post! And..that last picture of all four of them in the tub. Cutest thing ever!