Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Just My Luck

Last Monday I had an IUD put in. Everything went well, that is until the weekend rolled around and I started bleeding quite a bit. I called the doctor and they wanted to see me on Tuesday for an ultrasound. Since Mac and Jaxton were both at school, I only had to take Beckam and Jillian with me. When I got there I found out that no children were allowed in the same room during the ultrasound, so some poor doctor got stuck watching my kids during it. The other down side was that they couldn't find my IUD, so they decided to perform a pelvic exam. Again, no IUD. From there they sent me down to get an x-ray (again no children allowed, so this time a nurse was assigned to babysitting duty). When the midwife looked at the x-ray, it was very obvious that I did indeed have an IUD in me, just not in the right place . . . or anywhere close. Apparently my IUD had gone through me uterian wall and was now in my abdomen. Does this happen a lot? Nope! In fact the nurse had never seen something like this and the midwife said it was very uncommon. My midwife then sent me to a doctor who perfermed another pelvic exam and told me that I was going to need lapriscopic surgery to remove the IUD. Please keep in mind that I still have Jillian and Beckam and that we had left the house at 7:30am and now it was 1:30pm, Jaxton was supposed to have been picked up from preschool at 12:30, and Mac needed to be picked up at 2:30. I called Nate, who quickly left work and picked Jaxton up from school. I also called two good friends, Kristi, who came to the hospital and picked up Jaxton and Beckam, and Chelsea, who picked Mac up from school. From there Nate, Jillian, and I headed over to the O.R. to begin my pre-surgery stuff. At 3:00 I was admitted into the O.R. and at 5:30pm I was headed into surgery. At 6:45pm I came out of surgery and was told that they found my IUD floating in my abodmen and that once it was found, it came out nicely. They also took pictures of my uterus, (hole and all), and said that it had already began to heal. By 8:30pm I was home and exhausted. Lucky for me, my wonderful friend Kristi had cleaned my house from top to bottom, fed my children lunch and dinner, done homework with Mac, and put my kids to bed. I also found that meals had been brought for the next two nights and we already had several people asking what more they could do to help. I am so thankful to these awesome people who are so willing and able to take care of me and my family. Anyway, long story short, if you know me then you know that this would only happen to me. I'm a little sore and I can't lift my boys for two weeks, but other than that we are definitely on the mend. I'm just so happy to have one of the longest days of my life over with -- you can be sure that I will be finding a different form of birth control from here on out.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh man what a day! Thank goodness you have such good friends. Glad that you're feeling good.

Holly and Robert said...

Wow!!!! What an adventure!!!

Monique said...

Wow, that sounds scary! I'm glad things worked out well in the end. How stressful, good to hear that you have great people there to help you out, that's when it would be tough not to have family close. I hope your recovery goes well!

Holly said...

I was thinking about switching from the pill to the IUD..... I think you just changed my mind!!! :) That's horrible! I didn't even know that was possible! Glad you got it taken care of and are on the mend!

Kade and Katie said...

i about died when i read this on facebook! i had an iud for three years and not one problem. crazy! i so wish i was there to take kids, bring dinner, clean your house, and just hang out....someday right?! we'll get you back here i just know it. take care! i love you!

Kade and Katie said...

sorry we got cut short on the phone call...i felt bad i got off in such a hurry. i knew my kids were going to open the door and i had no idea who it was when i saw them...sorry! thanks so much for calling though, hope your weekend was a good one. love ya!