Thursday, December 12, 2013

Fresh Prince, James Taylor and a Big Move

I'm feeling a bit like the Fresh Prince of Belair,
 "This is the story all about how, my life got flipped turned upside down."
You see, Nate was offered a job with IHC in Murray, UT, which is something we have been hoping for ever since he decided to go out into hospital administration. The only problem was, we had fallen head-over-heels in love with North Carolina and the life we had built there for the last eight years (almost) and now we had to say goodbye to it all -- not an easy task and certainly not easy to do in three and a half weeks.

How I was going to miss the trees of NC and the way they lined the freeway.

I was going to miss my WalMart where the checkers knew who my children were and would ask about them each time.

I was going to miss our church buildings (and even the 25 minute drive each way), where my ward became my family and where so much spiritual growth was made.  Where I was given the opportunity to be the YW's president and associate with some of the choicest young women E.V.E.R.

I was going to miss my neighborhood, the walks, the park and all the good people within.

I was going to miss my street and where my house stood --  it became a meeting place for dozens of neighborhood kids and for moms just needing to chat.

I would miss the Dollar Tree, where we frequented so  much that the clerks knew when my boys had had haircuts or when we went out of town.

I would miss the gym, where I ran hundreds of miles on the treadmill and met some awesome people!

I was going to miss Efland Cheeks Elementary, where we were known as the family "with all those kids."

I would miss MUM's preschool, where Ms. Andrews had an answer for every ailment I or my children ever had and where my children learned to love school.

I was going to miss my home, our first home.  It was ours and we loved it.  Where I brought my fourth child home from the hospital and the only home that any of my children really remember living in.




But most of all, I was going to miss the people.

I would miss Jaxton's teachers who loved on him and teased him and made him the sweetest going away movie and his friends who would come over or call just to say "hi."

I was going to miss Jillian's flurry of friends and their little giggles, her school and church teachers and ballet class.

I would miss friends from church and from the neighborhood who made it easier to live 36 hours away from home.

I would miss my YW, who became some of my best friends and people who taught me greater lessons than I could have ever expected.

I would miss friends who taught me how to care more, think deeper and be better and who would throw a killer Goodbye Party for us.

I would miss Beckam's friends and his teachers that nurtured his great potential.

I would miss play dates for the kids and Friday park days, which always turned out so therapeutic for me.

I would miss Mac's many teachers, coaches and friends who loved him and praised him and accepted his competitive spirit.

And I would miss "My Girls," my go-to people, my confidants, my builders, my advice-givers, my sisters away from my real sisters.

There was so much I was going to miss about NC. And while there's no telling what this next chapter of our lives will bring, I'm so thankful for the memories I have of such a wonderful place.
Utah will bring closeness to family once again and more job opportunities for Nate, but I'm sure there will be days that I will crave the humidity, the trees, the places and the people of NC.
On those days I'll feel like ole' James Taylor,
"In my mind I'm going to Carolina . . ."

3 comments:

Nikki Nichols said...

Okay just cried my eyes out a little bit! I wish you knew just how deeply you are loved and missed! You and your children and husband have touched us more than you will ever know! I LOVE YOU SOOO MUCH! Maybe we will make the trip out west be a drive so we can stop and say hi to the Petersons for a few days :) I LOVE YOU LADY!!!

jami said...

Oh Nikki! I'm so thankful that we're missed! I definitely miss my old life! I think of you and yours everyday.

EMILY said...

I loved this post! And I don't doubt that you left a hole that cannot be filled in NC. You are amazing! I'm just selfishly glad that you're back in UT. Maybe I'll get to see you more often! :)