Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wish Granted!


So ever since I was little, I've always wanted a black eye. There's just something about a black and blue, puffed, swollen eye that screams TOUGH! I can remember sitting across from Rhett Perrett in 4th grade and being so envious of his big swollen eye, which by the way was actually from a bee sting, but hey, I'm not picky.

Fast forward 20 years and my wish for a black eye was actually something that was almost forgotten, that is until Sunday. Picture this, Nate and the boys wrestling on the floor and me, sitting on the couch, minding my business when all of a sudden they get the bright idea to bring me in on the fun. Before I knew it, I had the back of a 4 1/2 year olds head coming straight for me. After impact I held my eye and immediately felt it swell beneath my fingers. Before this incident, I couldn't remember the last time I had cried out in physical pain, but here I was, sobbing indeed.

Painful story short, after the swelling went down, I found myself with a nice black eye. I guess what I didn't realize all these years is the amount of pain that comes with getting a black eye and the amount of pain that remains on that side of your face (including your teeth) for days later.

Now that my childhood wish has come true do you know what my next wish is? It's between getting pregnant with twins or feeling a squirrels tail -- but since Nate's already been to the doctor to ensure the first doesn't happen, it looks like I have an up close and personal visit with a squirrel to look forward to. I'll keep you posted . . .

P.S. Both Mac and Jaxton were beyond concerned for me through the whole eye process. Mac insisted on sitting by me after I was hit and he rubbed my leg, tickled my face, patted my arm, held my icepack and continually asked if he could do anything for me. At one point he looked up at me and said, "Mom, I'd do anything for you!" What sweet kids I have!

2 comments:

JDS said...

Ouch! Crazy boys ;-) I think I saw a squirrel "napping" on the side of Erwin road...maybe its tail is still soft and fluffy for ya!

Metta said...

Are we twins? That has always been my life goal too! I got some good bruises on my eyelids when I was in a springboard diving class at BYU, but no real good bruisers yet. I have yet to fulfill that dream.

The person I envied was this girl who was in my ward at BYU, who played rugby and who came to church one day looking like tough personified. I definitely wanted to be like her.

My other goal was to be married to someone in the mafia. I might have missed the ship on that one...