Sunday, June 6, 2010

They Definitely Don't Get It From Me!

When my boys are playing ball, I'm always reminded how glad I am that Nate's genes are half of what my kids are made up of. Don't get me wrong, I love a good competition, but let's be serious -- my arms just weren't made to swing a bat or shoot a three pointer. I was more of a leaper, a toe pointer, a high kicker, and dance-to-the-beat kind of girl. And it's not that I didn't try the sports thing -- I just always seemed to break something mid-season, whether it be an arm, a nose, a toe, or a finger. I tried softball and basketball as a youngster, and snowboarding and softball again after I was married, but the results were always the same. I loved the thought of being a "baller" and I loved looking the part, but I just couldn't bring much to the table, (other than a predictable line drive down the third base line every time I was up to bat). As I've grown older, I've learned to just stick with what comes natural and that's why every Saturday morning at 8:00am you can find me at Zumba class with a big smile on my face just dancing my heart out.
Here's a picture of me when I was 11. Please take note of the cast on my left arm (no, I wasn't joking about breaking a bone every season).

Mac has been looking forward to playing baseball for years and I think it was well worth his wait. He did an awesome job fielding (usually at first base) and batting seems to be his shining point. Each time he got up to bat the coach would yell out "big hitter" and then Mac would remind the coach that he liked the balls pitched overhand not underhand. Even though Mac loved his time on the baseball diamond, he's ready to hang up his bat and glove for a season to pick soccer back up in the Fall. The kid loves him some athletics!



Beckam's always been a natural athlete. He may not have walked until he was 17 months, but I think that whole time he was just observing how to do everything, because since then he's never stopped. He loves anything and everything to do with balls and is counting down until next Fall when he can join in on the team sport fun.

Jaxton had a great Spring soccer season. This was his first go at a team sport and he really loved every minute. Whenever he was on the field he'd run around with a big smile on his face and wave at us any chance he got. He's already looking foward to Fall soccer.



4 comments:

nicole said...

Jami, you have the sweetest boys. I hope mine are as cool someday. They are so nice to B&E at playgroup. Last week I heard Jaxton saying 'hello nice babies' and playing in the dirt with them. So, so cute.

Rachael said...

mommy he shot my bobobfet. the end.

Rachael said...

Rylee wrote the above comment. I hope that was obvious to everyone...but just in case, I thought I would clarify. I don't really understand it. She wouldn't explain it to me but said she would explain it Mac.

emandtrev said...

You are so cute in your baseball uniform! I hear you on pretty much all counts. I don't have boys (yet? ever?), but when Estella told me she wanted to play soccer next year I had a moment of panic! I love how kids are willing to try anything!

Speaking of trying things, I'm going to try Zumba for the first time next week. Everyone I talk to says it's a blast. Don't ask me why I've waited this long to try it!